190th Session Recap: Gun Control
H.4670 – An Act relative to fire arms
- Jay was a co-sponsor and advocate for the “Red Flag” firearm legislation.
- Allows for the temporary removal of firearms from people considered a danger to themselves or others.
- Lets a relative or someone else with close ties to a legal gun owner petition a court for an up-to-12-month extreme risk protection order if the individual is exhibiting dangerous or unstable behavior.
- The gun owner can appeal the decision
- Creates a licensing procedure for stun guns in Massachusetts after the state’s highest court ruled that a blanket ban on the devices was unconstitutional.
Outcome: This bill was passed in both chambers and signed by the Governor on July 3, 2018
Bump Stock Ban
After the tragic mass shooting in Las Vegas and the ongoing trend of mass shootings nation wide, the legislature took action by banning so-called “bump stocks” or devices that convert legal guns into higher capacity rifles. This was done through the budget via an amendment filed by my colleague, Representative Linsky of Natick